Pages

Saturday, June 29, 2013

Random Epic Fail: Bunnies Edition

(see, I told you this blog would be random.)

We have teensy little baby bunnies in our yard. More precisely: we have baby bunnies in the section of the yard that is fenced and reserved for our 65 pound dog.

We have a biggish yard and only a small area of it is fenced off for Albus to do his business. So I ask you: what sort of stupid rabbit makes her nest/warren/whatever-you-call-a-baby-bunny depository in the middle of dog's bathroom?

Of course, we did not discover the bunnies on our own. It was Albus who discovered them when, stupid me, I saw a bunny sitting out in the middle of his area and thought, "Oh, maybe he'll be curious and they'll make friends!"

You see, I had a dog once who was a friend to all rabbits. He was a Cocker Spaniel named Friskie. He was not what you would call a good-natured dog. He had a terrible temper. He was very territorial and would nearly bite your arm off if you came near him with scissors (needless to say, he wasn't groomed very closely very often.) We were very careful around Friskie. But bunnies? Those guys were perfectly safe. In fact, nearly every temperate day, you could look out the window and see Friskie in the backyard, touching noses with a wild bunny.

So now you understand how my early childhood experience with the dog/rabbit connection might make me think my sweet teddy bear of a Goldendoodle, Albus, would consider a bunny rabbit a potential friend.

Epic. Fail.

He chased the bunny. The bunny ran and scooted under the fence. Safe. Right?

Not exactly.

Albus sniffed around the area where the bunny had been sitting, which was right in our pine-needle strewn side yard. He stuck his nose right down in there and really seemed to be concentrating. Then he pawed at the ground a bit, stepped back, and stared into what appeared to be a small hole. I figured, "Oh, great. He's going to eat rabbit poop." So I hollered at him. When he didn't immediately abandon his sniffing and nosing about (big surpise.) I went out to get him.

In the hole he'd uncovered, there were at least 5 baby bunnies, right there in the middle of the flippin' dog yard!

Stupid, mama rabbit!

So, Albus was hauled inside (quite literally) and I, of course, grabbed my camera and set one of my girls to Googling what the heck we were supposed to do to SAVE THE BUNNIES!

The internet says mama rabbits only come to care for their babies intermittently and only through the nighttime hours (it had been nearing dusk when she'd been there, so I guess "nighttime" is a loose definition of the bunny timeline.) Other than that, the baby bunnies are pretty much on their own. So I'm thinking... Okay. How do I make the bunnies safe during the day? How do I do that? A cage? A box? A fence? But how do I make it so that stupid mama can get in?

I look out in the garage. Nothing. No ideas. Down in the basement, however, I see... the antique bird cage. It has no bottom. It will be perfect. Or so I thought. But even though I tied up the door with ribbon, I worried that if I left it out there all night, mama bunny might not go in and take care of her babies; so, since Albus spends his nights indoors (and most of his days, too) I brought it in at bedtime. This morning, I put it back out, but closed the door so Albus wouldn't be tempted to stick his nose or paw through the hole.

After a while, Albus needed out. He sniffed around the cage, of course, but seemed like he would leave it alone, so I went about cleaning the kitchen.

A little while later, I hear my eldest holler, "Albus, NO! NO! Bad dog! Mom, he's eating the bunnies!"

Well, he wasn't eating them, but he did manage to dig under the cage and pull one out. It squealed. (Bunnies can make a horrible sound when they are scared -- this I knew from years back and a housecat who was fond of "playing" with them.) Even though it is so tiny--only about 5ish days old, according to a vet's article I read last night--the sound about broke my heart.

Delaney recovered the baby from Albus--still alive--and put Albus in the house while I checked on its bunny siblings and tried to figure out how to keep these babies safe.

I know, I know. It's nature. I'm an Iowa farm girl--I understand the food chain and all that, that it's Albus's nature to "retrieve" and to be fascinated by small things that not only move but squeak, but I'm a sucker with a capital S when it comes to animals. And helpless baby animals? Please.

All the mama bunny fur that had insulated the babies beneath the pine needles was now soaked in dog-dug mud, so I had to figure out some other way to keep them warm. (Did I mention it was raining? Yep. It was raining.)

Delaney went inside to get some tin foil to cover the birdcage to keep the rain off the babies, but how to keep them warm? The fur was destroyed, the pine needles all soaked and muddy.

What would have the sort of water repellent nature as rabbit fur? I had no idea. Cloth might smell funny and make mama rabbit stay away. Or it might get wet and only make them colder. Delaney suggested I take some of the down filling out of my comforter.

Thanks to Albus "losing" his tennis ball in my bed last week, there is a torn edge on my down comforter, and being that I'm something of a procrastinator and not great with a needle and thread, I haven't fixed it yet. So, I reached in and pulled out a hand full of soft, fluttery down. I then cut up a thin dish towel, wrapped a strip around the down, and put it on top of the bunnies with some more down on top.

Yes, I just sacrificed part of a king-sized down comforter for wild baby rabbits that are probably going to die. For all I know, down is poisonous to rabbits. Or they'll inhale and it will block their little noses up. Or (insert all the horrible possibilities you can think of)

GREAT! What did I just do?

Well, the best that I can. And that's all I can do, right?

I imagine it's going to be another epic fail and we'll have a bunch of dead baby bunnies within the next 24 hours. But ... who knows? Maybe it will work and my neighbors will curse my ingenuity when their gardens suffer from an influx of vegetable predators.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...